Monday, February 24, 2014

National Tortilla Chip Day - Feb. 24th; Chef Marvin Woods

Chef Marvin Woods
Woods (no relation to Sylvia, that I know of), is a New Jersey chef who learned to cook when he was young, introduced to cooking by his father. He's an author (The New Low-Country Cooking and Home Plate Cooking) and award-winning tv host, and is very involved with educating children and their parents about healthy cooking.

* * *

February 24th is Tortilla Chip Day -- those crunchy bits of fried tortillas that are a vehicle for getting salsa (and more) to your mouth. If you're trying to avoid the fat, they can also be baked.

One of the things that aggravated me about the family cookbook was my brother promising to send recipes... and never doing it. I got them eventually, and will have them for the next cookbook, but it was frustrating. (And despite what my brothers believe, I don't enjoy nagging.) This is one of the reasons you need to give yourself plenty of time, but also give your family a firm deadline. "I need it by (this date) and no later, ok?" And be sure to follow up. A lot.

ANYway, I have a wonderful guacamole recipe from my sis-in-law to share:


Guacamole 
Ingredients:

2 avocados
2 green onions
2 cloves garlic
1 tomato, diced
1 serrano pepper, seeds and all
cilantro, to taste
lime juice, to taste
salt, to taste
Directions:
Mince onions, garlic, cilantro and pepper together. Halve avocado, discard pits and scoop flesh into a ceramic or glass bowl. Add tomato and minced vegetables. Add lime and salt to taste. Mix.
Note:
Use only plastic utensils on avocados to minimize oxidation.


Available at Amazon.

No comments: