Monday, February 3, 2014

National Carrot Cake Day - February 3rd; Chef Marcus Samuelsson

Chef Marcus Samuelsson
Samuelsson was born in Ethiopia and raised in Sweden, where his maternal grandmother taught him to cook. He has opened several restaurants, including Red Rooster Harlem, which hosted a fundraising dinner for the Democratic National Convention in 2011. He's written the cookbooks Aquavit and the New Scandinavian Cuisine, The Soul of a New Cuisine, and New American Table, as well as the memoir Yes, Chef. He and his wife are also the founders of the Three Goats Organization, a non-profit dedicated to providing sustainable resources to families in Ethiopia.

* * *

February 3rd is National Carrot Cake Day, and I make the argument that cake containing vegetables doesn't count as dessert; it's clearly health food. Not to mention the workout you get grating all those carrots!

When we were newly married in our tiny apartment, I made a carrot cake for us. I love the stuff, but a 9x13" cake for just the two of us was kind of a lot. It's been 22 years since I made that cake, and I've never made another one. (It's probably time, don't you think?) If I had known I could freeze it, I probably would have done so. When you're compiling your cookbook, be sure to include any tips you're given, like "this freezes well," in the recipe notes.


Available at Amazon.

No comments: