Tuesday, January 14, 2014

National Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day - January 14th

I confess, I have never eaten pastrami. I probably won't have any today, either, even though it's Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day. Pastrami is preserved meat, originally created before modern refrigeration was available. This is another import to thank Jewish immigrants for; Romanian Jews brought this with them to the US.

Sandwiches are kind of an odd thing to have a recipe for, in a way. Everyone has their own spin on them; even Elvis had his Fried Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich (sometimes with bacon, other times not). In 1936, comics saw the giant sandwiches made my Dagwood Bumstead that came to be known as Dagwood Sandwiches. Just as with named dishes like Peach Melba, be sure to include sandwiches peculiar to your family! This can be a fun way to include the kids, since they often have inventive combinations between two slices of bread, even if they're too small to cook yet. My daughter still eats peanut butter and cheese sandwiches on occasion. I used to push Doritos into the gooey cheese in my grilled cheese sandwiches.


Available at Amazon.


No comments: